My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Trying to be positive

Wow!  It has been a long time since I posted.

I fell off the bandwagon and really did not have anything to post.  It is a mental game.  I am all gungho to exercise and eat healthy and then some smell wafts by and I am just done for!  :(

Anyway...I have been lazy about both my eating and exercise.  Then, my daughter asked if I wanted to go on a bike ride.  The bike ride had all kinds of issues, but it got me excited about riding my bike and really getting this body back to what it should be.  Yeah!  Motivation!!!


So...I have been riding my bike.  A LOT.  124 miles since June 1st!  Pretty proud of that!!!  I've got the bike carrier hooked up to my van and can throw the bike on and off pretty quickly.  Although my daughter was the one to get this trend started, she has been a fair weather fan and only went with me on that initial ride.

I am very fortunate to live in a town that has lots and lots of trails.  I drive about 5 minutes to park and ride.  My shortest rides are 5 miles or so and my longest have been 19 miles.  I can actually ride my bike to the nearest winery!  (8.3 miles)  How cool is that?!!!  :)




Unfortunately, I came home yesterday from a long ride (19 miles) and noticed something odd with my pinky finger in my right hand.  When I went to wash my hair in the shower I couldn't control my pinky finger.  It didn't join the others.  I thought maybe this would go away, but it was back again today.  The only thing I could think that may have caused this was my riding...

Well...I was right!  After doing a little internet searching, it looks like I have cyclist palsy.  I probably should have a doctor check it out and then it looks like I need to stay off my bike until the symptoms go away.  The linked article did say that I could ride my stationary bike, just to stay away from the handlebars.

So what caused this?  Too much pressure on my arm and wrist.  Usually it means that the seat is not fit properly to correctly distribute your weight on the handlebars.  Disappointing!  Means that my summer time passion will have to wait.  In the meantime, looks like I'll be trying the indoor machine and maybe mixing it up with other activities like walking/running on the trail or working out to those numerous dvds I have at home.

Trying to stay positive!  It is just frustrating because right when I got into running and training for a 5k, I started experiencing plantar fascitis.  Now this.  Just not liking getting old!  :)

Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment