My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Data

This is my 20th year as an educator and my first year as a school counselor.  As a teacher, and now even more as a counselor, we base many of our decisions on the data that we collect.  This got me thinking of how data relates to losing weight.

For as long as I can remember I have measured my success in weight loss solely by a number on the scale.  No matter how I really feel, when I weigh in, that number can determine whether I am happy with myself or beat myself up for not being perfect.  Just as we do not measure the success of a student solely on one assessment, I really should not measure my success on one number and nothing else.

When I decided that I was going to incorporate exercise as a normal part of my life and eat less calories than I expend, I started keeping track of my exercise.

I wanted to work out at least 25 minutes a day.  After a few no exercise days, I think 25 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week is a better place to start.

I belong to the online Weight Watchers community and keep telling myself I am wasting my membership by NOT tracking what I eat.  I am still having trouble with this.  At this point, incorporating exercise and other good habits into my life is more imortant than tracking everything I eat.

Today is January 23rd and here are my stats so far:

13 workouts of at least 25 minutes
419.5 minutes
35.8 miles biked
16.75 miles on the treadmill
Finished week 3, day 1 of Couch Potato 2 5K!
Can hold a plank for 45 seconds

That is quite a bit!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment